Sunday, September 28, 2008

Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer

(Spoiler Warning: as if you don't already know the plot, but anyway . . .)
The third book in Meyer's Twilight series, Eclipse focuses mainly on Bella's continued efforts to keep Jacob Black as her friend even though the love of her life is his arch-enemy. The main story here is that the evil vampire Victoria is still trying to kill Bella, and her plan culminates when she brings together an army of newly made vampires to attack the Cullen family and take Bella's life. For most of the book the Cullens can't seem to figure out that the string of vampire attacks in Seattle and Victoria's absence are in anyway connected, but they discover her intention in time to try to keep Bella safe. In the process of figuring out how to protect her, Bella's vampire friends make an alliance with her werewolf friends, an unheard of occurrence. In the midst of all of this plot, Bella agrees to marry Edward, and realizes she's in love with Jacob. She knows that Edward is who she wants to be with, however, so she is forced to break Jacob's heart.
Talk about melodrama. This book takes the angst to a new height, with Bella constantly breaking her own heart about having to hurt the people she loves. I find each of these books less entertaining than the last, but I still plan on reading Breaking Dawn. I have to find out how it ends, right? When reading the other two books, I was able to acknowledge that the over-the-top teenage drama was silly, but they still kept me reading. This one was definitely not as compelling, in that page-turning way. Oh well, I have a ways to go before I can get my copy of the fourth book from the library, but I'm not too worried about it.

No comments: