Monday, September 1, 2008

Mouse Guard: Fall, 1152 by David Petersen

I found it odd that this book was listed as one of the best teen books of 2007 by the King County Library System. A graphic novel about mice who protected their homeland? So I was skeptical. But my skepticism was unfounded. This is definitely the best graphic novel I've ever read (out of the small handful that I've actually looked at, so maybe that's not saying much). The art is gorgeous. For me, a graphic novel isn't worth reading unless I like the way it looks. I have a hard enough time dealing with the words and pictures at the same time, and if I don't like the pictures, I won't read the book. That may be simplistic, but I never claimed to be a graphic novel connoisseur.
In addition to the beautiful drawings, the story is actually really engaging and fun. And these mice are serious - these are not happy-go-lucky mouse warriors. They are serious fighters. I am looking forward to the next compilation, Winter. Right now some installments are available as comic books, but I can wait for the hardbound full edition. These are definitely books to keep your eyes open for.

No comments: