Sunday, March 1, 2009

The 1% Well-Read Challenge

I had read about this challenge on other blogs, and thought it sounded interesting, so I'm excited to join for 2009. The challenge begins today, and ends March 31, 2010. There are three different levels you can do it at, the first two have the challenge ending on December 31st, 2009. I will be reading 13 titles from both the original and updated lists. This is the combined list that I used to choose my books from.
For more information, head to the challenge page here.
This is my list, in no particular order (except that Ficciones is at the top, because that's the next book on my to-read pile!). There are more than 13 here, so in case I give up on one, I have another to choose from. I certainly won't be reading them in this order, so I have not bothered to number them.
  • Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges
  • The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai
  • The Sea by John Banville
  • 2666 by Roberto Bolano
  • Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre
  • Atonement by Ian McEwan
  • The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Klay by Michael Chabon
  • The Hours by Michael Cunningham
  • In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
  • Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
  • American Pastoral by Phillip Roth
  • Mrs. Dalloway by Virgina Woolf
  • Metamorphoses by Ovid
  • Aesop's Fables by Aesopus
Reading this list was fun, as I realized that I've read dozens of the books on there already. I like to think I'm well-read, but it's nice to have it confirmed from time to time. And it's always good to have a place to go to find classics.

2 comments:

Rebecca Reid said...

I just read Fictions by Borges (last month). I'd be interested in your thoughts. I really didn't like it...but I'm sure I missed something!

Jessica said...

I've been doing a lot of reading outside of my comfort zone lately, and I think this will be another such book. I guess we'll see!