Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Library Loot - March 18, 2009

Yay! A small week! I think I actually completed the same number of books this week that I checked out. So I'm staying even with my piles. I know that I already have two more books that are on hold for me that I will be picking up in the next week, but that's not many. So maybe I will catch up someday.
Except for one, all of this week's books were for the 999 challenge. I am reading award-winners for that one, so two of them won either Hugo or Nebula awards (now I can't remember which) and one won the National Book Award for books for young adults. The fourth book is simply one that I had on hold for so long it was about to expire if I didn't unfreeze the hold.
So here they are:
  • Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
  • Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge
  • The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, traitor to the nation: the Pox Party by M T Anderson
  • Consumed: how markets corrupt children, infantilize adults, and swallow citizens whole by Benjamin R Barber
I also checked out four Portland, OR travel guides, one of which is geared specifically to Portland's literary history (City of Readers by Gabriel H Boehmer). We're planning a weekend in Portland in a couple of weeks, so I'm excited to browse through these.
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that I had to return The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society without having read it. I almost returned The Hunger Games as well, but I decided to just sit down and read the whole thing instead. I think I can handle the late fees! And it was soooo worth it. I would have had a review up already, but school is making me a little bit brain-dead lately.
If you would like to see what others are picking up from their library, or join in the fun, head over to A Striped Armchair.

1 comment:

Eva said...

Good for you exercising all that self-control! I went on a library book bonanza, but at least it's free. :D