Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Library Loot - April 8, 2009

Once again, a killer week at the library. Next week promises to be just as big!

So, we have:
  • Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (for the Victorian Challenge)
  • The Queen's Husband by Jean Plaidy (also for the Victorian Challenge)
  • The Complete Odes and Satires of Horace (Really Old Classics Challenge)
  • Satires by Juvenal (Really Old Classics Challenge)
  • Secondhand Chic by Christa Weil (I picked this one up after flipping through it at the library - I love thrift store shopping, so I'm looking forward to reading this one)
  • The Art of War by Sun Tzu (Really Old Classics Challenge)
  • The Living Bread by Thomas Merton (Spiritually Speaking Challenge)
  • The Epic of Gilgamesh, Stephen Mitchell translation (I took back my other copy of Gilgamesh, as I wanted to check out this edition for the Martel-Harper Challenge)
  • Queen Victoria by Christopher Hibbert (Victorian Challenge)
Whew. I didn't have to return any this week, without having read them I mean, but next week might be a different story.

2 comments:

Eva said...

I really liked Mitchell's translation of Gilgamesh. And I read Secondhand Chic last month-it was awesome!

I'm so tempted to join the Really Old Classics challenge...but I'm challenge-overloaded.

Jessica said...

I think I saw that you'd read Secondhand Chic, so when I saw it in the library it looked familiar. Or maybe I put a hold on it . . . now I'm not even sure! Either way, I think it was your mention of it that led me to pick it up!