Saturday, April 18, 2009

Read-A-Thon Update # 2 and Jodie's mini-challenge

I seem to be having a hard time figuring out what to post. :P Too much coffee and too little sleep already! Since we last spoke I've been reading Spin by Robert Charles Wilson. It's a Hugo award winner, a great page-turner.
And for Jodie's mini-challenge, I chose the book Coraline by Neil Gaiman, which I will be reading later today. Here is the basic idea of the challenge:
Look through the pile and take a picture of the cover you like the best, for whatever reason. It can be the prettiest, the oddest, the brightest... Flip the book over and look at the blurb (or look on the inside of the jacket). Now here's the fun, little kid part - recreate the blurb anyway you want. What I'm looking for is some kind of tableau that expresses the main thrust of the book's plot (which the blurb should hopefully capture).
I always thought that the cover of Coraline was a tad creepy - I think I find Dave McKean's illustrations a tad odd. And the button-eyes thing about the other world that Coraline finds has always creeped me out. So I chose my own button-eyed friends for my tableau, two of which I made myself, one which a friend made for me. (The kind of creepy thing here is the black cat that my friend made for me was a gift for when my cat friend of 17 years passed - so there was a real-world creature that goes along with my other-world button-eyed cat.)
Update
Title of book(s) read since last update: Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
Number of books read since you started: two, one completed
Pages read since last update: 59
Running total of pages read since you started: 108
Amount of time spent reading since last update: 85 minutes
Running total of time spent reading since you started: 165 minutes
Mini-challenges completed: Jodie's
Other participants you’ve visited: none
Prize you’ve won: none

2 comments:

Ali said...

Cute! Hope your reading's going well!

Anonymous said...

Coraline is a fantastic book, you will enjoy reading it later in the day. Your button-eyed friends will take on a whole new feeling, though!

Enjoy your reading today.

Laura/@bookingit