For my time cheerleading I am hosting the Love Your Local Library Mini-challenge. The idea for this challenge was born out of the fact that I had a shift at work at the library today, so I planned on cheering while I was at work. Unfortunately I had to stay home today (weird dizzy spells), but I can still participate as a reader and cheerleader.
I love my local library. I have always been a library-lover, and working at libraries has not dimmed this love in any way. So I am curious about other readers' use of their local libraries. For this challenge, leave a comment and let me know:
- What is the name of your local library? What city is it located in?
- How often do you go to the library? If you're a regular, do the staff know you?
- Do you browse while you're there or just pick up items you have placed on reserve?
- What is your favorite thing about your local library?
- The name of my library is the Crossroads Connection, which is in a local mall. It is located in Bellevue, WA. The closest regional branch, which I would use if I needed more research and browsing is in the neighboring city of Redmond.
- I'm at my local library at least once a week, not counting when I work there (I actually am assigned to a whole group of branches, so I am only actually working at Crossroads occasionally). And I can't fairly answer the question about the staff . . . :)
- Unfortunately, I almost never browse anymore. It's a sacrifice I have made. I think it comes from putting far too many books on reserve, and being afraid to check out any items that are not already waiting for me. (I have to draw the line somewhere!)
- My favorite thing about Crossroads is the location. The Crossroads mall is very much a community place - it is one of the most culturally diverse areas I've ever lived in (and I grew up in Long Beach, CA), and the mall reflects that. The word "mall" does not accurately describe Crossroads - it is not typical in any way. The library reflects this diversity, and even though it is a small browsing collection, it is one of my favorite places both to visit and work.
***Edit: I forgot to let you all know you have a few hours to complete this one! Sorry! I appreciate all the responses so far. This will be going until 5pm PST, which I believe is Hour 12. Thanks for participating!